How to Get a Library Card
Library Card Eligibility
We require proof of identity and proof of residency. All applicants must present proof of residency, owning property/paying taxes, or renter status. Acceptable proof includes, but is not limited to, a lease, mortgage bill, tax bill, or utility bill mailed to the address used for residency. Employees of RSU 21 or Heartwood College of Art who live in a non-resident town must present documentation of their employment/enrollment status.

By signing the borrower's card application, the patron agrees to the Library's lending policies. Possession of a library card is implied permission to use that card. That is, if a family member presents another family member's card, we assume s/he has permission of the card owner.

For registration of children younger than the 7th grade, we require a proof of parent's or guardian's identity and parents or guardians signature. With this signature the parent agrees to the responsibility of all fines and replacement costs in the event the child is not able to meet these responsibilities.

Students who have reached the 7th grade are eligible for an adult registration. Adult registrations convey that the card holder is responsible for that card.

Family members living in the same residence may elect to share one card as residents or non-resident (therefore paying only one fee per family.)

First-time borrowers are limited to 5 items on their first visit. Provided the patron remains in good standing, the number of items borrowed will be in accordance with the Lending Policy.

There is a $1.00 charge to replace a lost card.

Residents are:

Persons who own property and pay real estate taxes in Kennebunk, Kennebunkport, or Wells regardless of primary domicile; or

Persons who rent residential property in Kennebunk, Kennebunkport, or Wells as their primary residence. This does not include persons who are seasonal renters; or

Employees of RSU21 or Heartwood College of Art regardless of residence.

Non-Residents are:

Persons who do not pay real estate taxes in Kennebunk, Kennebunkport, or Wells;

Persons who rent property on a seasonal basis e.g. Campground residents or seasonal beach renters.

Non-residents may register for a library card at an annual fee of $35 for 1 year or $20 for 3 months, which may include all family members. Non-resident borrowers will be given all the privileges and responsibilities of a resident borrower's card.

1-year and 3-months will be calculated as of the date of registration not a set date.

Patrons may not check out materials with an expired non-resident card.

Effective July 1, 2012